- 2 pieces of gimp each 6 inches longer than desired length of finished item.
- 1 piece of lace 8 times longer than desired length of finished item.
Note: 3 feet working strand make 4.5 inches of Chinese Staircase.
Note: 6 feet working gimp make 9 inches of Chinese Staircase.
1. Choose 2 strands of lace for core strands (these will not be seen in final item). Choose 1 strand of gimp for working strand. tie 3 strands together at one end. Hang knot on nail, cup hook or suction cup hook (FIG. A).
2. Chinese Staircase with Right Twist: Arrange strips as in FIG. A. Make loop, then turn strand behind core strands toward left. Bring strand over core strands and through loop. Pull taut around core.
3. Make loop, then repeat step 2 (FIG. B) until desired length is worked (FIG. C).
4. To fasten off, tie simple overhand knot to secure ends.
5. Chinese staircase with Left Twist: Arrange strips as in FIG. D. Make loop, then turn strand over core strands toward left. Bring strand under core strands and through loop. Pull taut.
6. Make loop, then repeat step 5 (FIG. D) until desired length is worked (FIG. E). Fasten off in same manner as Chinese staircase with right twist.
If desired, you may use more core strands to create a thicker Chinese Staircase. You must increase length of working strand if more than 2 core strands are used: i.e., with 3 core strands, working strand is 8.5 times longer then required length; with 4 core strands, working strands 9.5 times longer then required length.
More Stitches and Accessories