- 2 pieces of gimp each 6 inches longer than desired length of finished item.
- 1 piece of gimp 3.5 times longer than desired length of finished item.
Note: 1 foot of working strand makes 3.5 inches of zipper stitch, 3 feet of working strand make 10 inches of zipper stitch.
1. Choose 2 strands of gimp for core strands (these will be zipper "tracks"). Choose 1 strand of gimp for working strand. Tie 3 strands together at one end. Hang knot on nail, cup hook or suction cup hook (FIG. A).
2. Arrange strips as in FIG. A. Make loop, then turn working strand over 1st core strand and under 2nd core strand toward right. Pull taut.
3. Make loop, then turn working strand back over 1 strand and under next strand toward left. Pull taut.
4. Repeat steps 2 and 3 until desired length is worked (FIG. C).
To fasten off, tie simple overhand knot to secure ends.
Zipper stitch may be woven across several strands of gimp; i.e., FIG. D over 4 strands and FIG. E over 6 strands of gimp. These woven strips may be used for bracelets or strap handles for a tote bag. Ends may be tied or stitched to hold strands in place.
More Stitches and Accessories